1. Computing

Mike Chapple

DVD Rental Database

By March 14, 2004

In a recent forum posting, HIPHOPDREDAY asks:

"Hi. I have loads of dvd's and i'm at uni and my housemates are always borrowing my films so one day i decided that i would make up a rental system database on access xp just to pass the time. however i soon discovered that i got an E in my Computing A Level for a reason. I am totally stumped on how to go about this task. I have set-up a table of my dvd's. a table for my housemates and a table for rentals. i then set-up queries for the different genres of films, a list of available and not-available films and also a quetry for customers. i then made a form but i cannot for the life of me remember how to get my database to work in the format of:

a housemate goes to a form to rent movies. they choose the films they want and these are sent to the rentals form. ther movies that have been rented then go into the 'not available' category. when the films are returned the films returned then go into the 'available' category. it should be simple enough to do but i just cant work it out. can anyone help?
Comments
September 28, 2007 at 3:14 pm
(1) mightymouse says:

You should set up a command button on your form that says “Process Rentals” or something. When they press the button it will process your code. You would then have to put your SQL or VB code in there that puts the textbox.text contents into a string or an array, whichever you are more comfortable with, then write generic sql or vb code with those string variables in there.

You could probably record a macro that performs the action and then copy the code into the button code, since it will always be those records referred by the text boxes.

Hope that helps.

December 31, 2007 at 12:03 pm
(2) santosh234 says:

If somebody had done it or developed it, please mail it to me in santosh_ku_panda@hotmail.com

March 13, 2008 at 10:10 pm
(3) Ervin says:

im having the same problem could someone help me please. Email me on Ervin_dara@yahoo.co.uk than you

April 1, 2009 at 6:36 am
(4) Harry Peter-Hoblyn says:

i have been working on a database of this kind at school if you send me a table of your films i may be able to help you out

March 6, 2010 at 3:35 am
(5) Sim says:

if anyone has already developed it, could you mail to me as well… shakya_91@hotmail.com

May 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm
(6) Mr.A says:

hi there guys! i have a project which is about rentals of greatest hits of a video/dvd/game store that will hire out dvd, blu-ray, vhs and game titles. the database should have a system in place to track who has what movie/game , when it was rented , when it was returned, if it was late, who to call to get it back, etc. it also need to be able to analyse the customers – men, women,old,young, what are they renting, whats selling and isnt,what twe have on the shelves that gathering dust and what they asking for. the database should also handle routine sales management, and it will allow the user to do all the sales analysis he/she needs to do to make the business proper.. do you know where can i get some examples of this database? i really need to pass this subject because i failed on my first attempt for this.. please help me on this. thanks! email me -> angelogonzales0623@yahoo.com

May 31, 2010 at 5:57 pm
(7) Mr.A says:

if anyone has done it, please email it to me. i really need your help for my project. thank you! angelogonzales0623@yahoo.com