- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate for SQL Server 2012 (New Certificants)If you'd like to prove your prowess to a prospective employer, take a step up the career ladder in your current job, or simply earn a nice certificate to hang on the wall, the MCSA credential may be a great step for you. This entry-level certification requires that you pass three subject area examinations:
- Exam 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is intended for database professionals with at least two years’ SQL Server experience. It tests mastery of writing SQL queries and includes coverage of queries, indexes, stored procedures, triggers, error handling and more. For more information, see the Exam 70-461 Study Guide.
- Exam 70-462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases is intended for database administrators who work with the installation, maintenance and configuration of SQL Server databases. It tests mastery of database administration tasks, backup procedures, storage optimization, and database security. For more information see the Exam 70-462 Study Guide.
- Exam 70-463: Implementing Data Warehouses with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is intended for database professionals who work in Extract Transform Load (ETL) and data warehousing environments. It includes coverage of Master Data Services, Data Quality Services, data synchronization, ETL, SQL Server Integration Services and Windows Azure SQL Databases. For more information, see the Exam 70-463 Study Guide.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate for SQL Server 2012 (SQL Server 2008 Certificants)If you have already earned any SQL Server 2008 Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS) certification, you can take an accelerated, two-exam path to MCSA certification on SQL Server 2012. You’ll need to complete these two exams:
- Exam 70-457: Transition Your MCTS on SQL Server 2008 to MCSA: SQL Server 2012 – Part 1 covers creating database objects, working with data, query troubleshooting and optimization, installing, configuring and maintaining SQL Server, and optimizing and troubleshooting SQL Server. For more information, see the Exam 70-457 Study Guide.
- Exam 70-457: Transition Your MCTS on SQL Server 2008 to MCSA: SQL Server 2012 – Part 2 covers managing data, implementing security, high availability, data warehousing, ETL environments, loading data, SSIS, and Data Quality Services. For more information, see the Exam 70-458 Study Guide.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer: Data PlatformThe next step in the SQL Server certification path is the Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer credential. All candidates seeking this credential must first earn the SQL Server 2012 MCSA. Then, candidates seeking the Data Platform MCSE must pass two additional examinations:
- Exam 70-464: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases is targeted at database professionals who build and implement high availability databases. It includes coverage of database files, creating custom data types, working with indexes, and transaction management. For more information, see the Exam 70-464 Study Guide.
- Exam 70-465: Designing Database Solutions for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 includes coverage of planning and designing databases including storage, structure, objects and servers. For more information, see the Exam 70-465 Study Guide.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer: Business IntelligenceBusiness Intelligence experts may be interested in earning the MCSE: Business Intelligence certification on SQL Server 2012. Like the Data Platform MCSE, the Business Intelligence variant requires an MCSA on SQL Server 2012 and two additional examinations:
- Exam 70-466: Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 includes coverage of data modeling and report writing. For more information, see the Exam 70-466 Study Guide.
- Exam 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is designed for Business Intelligence architects and includes coverage of solution architecture, software/hardware provisioning, data warehousing and data marts, Online Analytical Processing (OLAP), SharePoint integration, and Windows Azure SQL Databases. For more information, see the Exam 70-467 Study Guide.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM)Microsoft plans to continue the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) program under a new name: Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM). As of the time of this writing, they have not yet released details on the SQL Server 2012 MCSM program, but promise there will be two tracks. Presumably, these tracks will mirror the data platform and business intelligence tracks of the MCSE program.
Microsoft has announced that the MCSE credential will be a perquisite for the MCSM program. Continue to watch the MCSM website for additional details as they become available.