In this article, we'll take a brief look at the Database Administrator track and the three possible certifications you can earn on your way to Master status. Our next article will examine the Application Developer track. As with most vendor-specific certifications, the OCP program provides version-specific examinations. Currently, there are three active certification programs: Oracle 9i, Oracle 10g and Oracle 11g. I'd strongly encourage you to certify on the most recent version of Oracle in order to maintain your credential as long as possible.
The first step on the 11g Administrator path is the Oracle 11g Database Administrator Certified Associate credential which requires passing two examinations:
- Any one of the following SQL exams: Introduction to Oracle9i SQL (1Z0-007), Oracle Database 11g: SQL Fundamentals I (1Z0-051), or Oracle Database SQL Expert (1Z0-047).
- Oracle Database 11g: Administration I. This exam (1Z0-052) is only available through Oracle University or a Prometric testing center.
- You must first hold the Oracle 11g Database Administrator Certified Associate credential.
- You must take at least one instructor-led Oracle-approved training course (online or in-class).
- Oracle 11g Database: Administration II Exam. This exam, (1Z0-053) requires you to answer between 180-220 questions in a 3-3.5 hour exam. The exam format will likely change at the conclusion of the beta period in December 2008.
Best of luck in your certification quest!