Microsoft provides the SQL Server 2008 Upgrade Advisor (SSUA) to help you detect upgrade issues before they occur. This tool examines your SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 databases and checks for any potential conflicts. I strongly recommend using this tool in advance of any attempted upgrade.
Time Required: One hour
- Launch SQL Server Upgrade Advisor.
- Click the "Launch Upgrade Advisor Analysis Wizard" link.
- Click the Next button to advance past the welcome screen.
- If SSUA doesn't automatically identify the server you wish to analyze, provide the name in the "Server Name" textbox.
- Click the Detect button to identify all SQL Server services running on the selected server. You may modify the components that you wish to validate by toggling the checkboxes. When complete, click the Next button to continue.
- If you have multiple SQL Server instances running on the selected server, choose the affected instance from the Instance Name drop-down box. You may only check one instance at a time.
- Select the authentication type you wish to use from the Authentication drop-down menu. If you chose SQL Server Authentication, provide a user name and password. Click the Next button to continue.
- SSUA will then allow you to select the parameters you wish to analyze. First, use the checkboxes to select the database(s) you wish to analyze on the selected instance.
- You may also provide SSUA with specific SQL Trace and/or SQL batch files to test particular workloads. When complete, click the Next button to continue.
- Confirm the settings displayed on the next screen and click the Run button to begin the analysis. Depending upon the size and number of databases and the selected workloads, this may take up an hour or longer to complete.
- When the analysis completes, click the Launch Report button to view the results of your analysis. Take any actions necessary to correct issues prior to your actual upgrade.
What You Need
- SQL Server Upgrade Advisor
- Authentication credentials for the SQL Server instance(s) you wish to analyze