Due to its widespread availability and flexible functionality, Microsoft Access is arguably the most popular database software in use today. In this "How To", we explain the Access installation process in a straightforward manner.
Time Required: 60 minutes
- Verify that your system meets the basic requirements for Access. You'll need at least a 500MHz or faster processor with 256MB of RAM. You'll also need at least 3GB of free hard disk space.
- Ensure that your operating system is up-to-date. You'll need Windows XP SP3 or later to run Access 2010. It's a good idea to apply all security updates and hotfixes to your system before installing access by visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- Insert the Office CD into your CD-ROM drive. The installation process will begin automatically and ask you to wait while the system prepares the Installation Wizard.
- The next step of the process will prompt you to enter your product key and accept the terms of the license agreement.
- If you'd like to install the entire Office suite (or you're using an Access-only CD), you can choose "Install Now" on the next screen. If you'd like to customize your installation, click "Customize" instead.
- When the installation completes, you may be prompted to restart your computer. Go ahead and do so.
- When your computer restarts, the first thing you should do is visit the Office Update site at http://officeupdate.microsoft.com to download any security patches for Access. This is a critical step.
What You Need
- Access or Office CD